The PS 99 Parents’ Association is a volunteer-run organization whose aim is to enrich our children‘s education by facilitating parental participation and providing support to teachers and staff.
We serve to act as a voice for families, and to build a sense of community among parents and educators. The PA Executive Board is made up of (and is elected annually by) parents of children currently enrolled at PS 99. The board organizes events and hosts fundraising activities to help support teachers’ wish lists and items that might not be covered by the city.
ANNUAL ACTIVITIES THAT THE PA ORGANIZES
- Teacher appreciation and teacher “wish lists”
- Picture Day
- Scholastic Book Fair
- Bake sales
- WorldFest and other school events
- 2nd Grade Moving Up celebration
- 6th Grade activities (Prom, Picnic, Graduation)
- Yearbook design and printing
- Class Lists/Class Parents
- Local/City government fund advocacy
- Co-Presidents: Miriam Kessler & Irina Peschan
- Executive Vice President: Elena O’Neal
- Co-VPs of Events: Michele Chen & Daniella Lugassy
- VP of Community Affairs: Shana Hooks
- Co-Corresponding Secretaries: Sophie Appel & Lisa Fu
- Co-Recording Secretaries: Selma Lukic & Heidi Stepp
- Co-Treasurers: Juana Mock & Jeffrey Zimmer
The Executive Board meets once a month, and hosts General Meetings once a month for the parent membership. General Meetings are a great way to get updates on the current news, and to voice any school-related concerns you may have.
The School Leadership Team (SLT) is a group of people who develop educational policies for their school. They also make sure there are resources to support those policies. SLT provides:
- Provide ongoing evaluations of a school’s educational programs and their impact on student achievement.
- Play an important role in school-based decision-making
- Help to make school cultures more collaborative
The 2022-2023 SLT parent members are Michelle Felder, Jung Park, Alex Segura, and alternates Amer Jan and Takila Oku.
The SLT meets once a month. Parents are welcomed to sit in on SLT meetings and observe the proceedings, though they are not allowed to speak.
The PA also administers the Afterschool program, in collaboration with the school administration.