New York City beaches opened on Saturday, May 28, 2016 for the summer season, and city pools will open on June 29th.
Here are some tips for staying safe near the water:
- Swim only where lifeguards are present
- Learn to swim. There are free and low-cost classes through the NYC PArks Department: NYC Learn to Swim program
- Never leave children unattended
- Obey all posted signs and flags
- Watch for dangerous waves and rip currents. For more information and safety tips check out the National Weather Service’s Rip Currents page.
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings
- Wear a life jacket when boating
- Don’t take unnecessary risks
- Be safe in the sun
- Know before you go: check weather conditions and get real-time beach opening and water quality information by visiting the Health Department’s Beaches page.